Friday, August 8, 2008

8 is Great!

First of all, happy Olympics Opening Ceremony Day! I'm so excited!! It struck me yesterday that there is something special about the number eight this week. Not just because today is 8.8.08 or because the Olympics officially start today but because this was a week of eights for us!

The week started off rough and needless to say I was a little bit of a Negative Nancy early on. Swimming on Sunday was terrible and I had completely regressed all my progress. I could barely do 4 lengths without choking and then Monday I skipped all together. I know, I know ...not acceptable! Then came Tuesday morning running, the worst of all! We started running and within 45 seconds my side was hurting and I had to stop for a rest but then pushed through and finished the run irritated and a little discouraged. Then....

Came Wednesday morning swimming and we were determined to make up for the rough start to the week. On our beginning laps the breathing felt good and I wasn't inhaling water anymore...I think I may have made some progress. The rest of the swim we did sets of 8 lengths, which doesn' t sound like a lot but a big accomplishment!

The other 8 came in yesterday when our running intervals jumped from 5 minutes to 8, per our plan, not randomly. I was in a Negative Nancy mode again, thinking that there is no way I'll be able to do it based on Tuesday but we did and it was a small but glorious victory. The last interval was the toughest b/c the side issue came up again but I thought to myself, " I will fall down on this treadmill and go shooting across the room like one of those YouTube videos before I stop running!!" Luckily that didn't happen and I finished. However, Saturday's run is 20 mins...cross your fingers.

Thank so much for all your support and inquiry about our training! You are keeping us accountable and giving us the strength to keeping doing it when we really just want to sit.

No comments: