Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Bad News Bears!

Well it was bound to happen, a major set back! Yesterday I was looking around the Emerald Point website, trying to get any last minute info when I happened to notice the age group breakouts, 20-24 and 25-29... UH OH! Caryn is 24 and I am the ripe old age of 26...crap! So you ask yourselves, what does this mean? I'll tell you. It means that Caryn and I will start the race at different times b/c the start is in progressions by age group, oldest to youngest. There is a chance that we could meet up because I'm slow and Caryn could catch me but not sure how far about the groups start. We even tried to email the race director, Jim, to see if either of us could switch groups and he responded promptly with a "no, race in your own group or wave" and no he doesn't mean wave at me if you go by, he means throw all your training and hard work down the drain if you don't like how the age groups are set up. Fine Jim, we'll do what you want!!!

Needless to say this was a total bummer for us yesterday, after almost three months of training together every day, and now we must go it ALONE!! The fear that we had about the race and the transitions is even more amplified by this news. We are trying to stay positive and keep pushing toward the finish...literally but it's a real bummer.

One other small tidbit is that the temperature is supposed to drop tomorrow to the 4o's - 50's at night and early morning, that could make for a very cold swim but keep your fingers crossed that the water will be warm and the sun will be shining.

Thanks to all our friends and family who have plans to make the trek up to Lake Lanier to see us, I hope we make you proud!! Thanks again for all your support and inquiry about our training.

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

aww that is such a bummer! You can still do it though.. Crystal just wait on her.. you arent trying to win are you? :) IM SO PROUD!!!

Anonymous said...

It seems to me that you guys are both in the same wave. It looks like the 24 and 25 year old females are both in wave 6 so you may be able to do this together after all. (I found the info at the race website so you might want to check it out) I could have read it wrong, but I hope not!

Anonymous said...

oh, and your start is at 7:50